Monday, August 10, 2009
I cant stand ignorant people.
I was at work in the cafeteria this morning and the janitor asked when I was due. So I told him and the conversation progressed. He goes on to tell me that his nephew & wife were having trouble getting pregnant - they went through IUI's. Supposedly that didn't work but they got pregnant TAB. He then went on to say that you don't need to do all that "silly stuff" and "just have fun trying and it will happen when its suppose to happen" Ughhh! If I had a dollar for every time I heard that!!
I simply said, "Oh buddy your talking to the wrong girl. I whole-heartily believe in how science can help. I also said that my little one would not be here without the help of science. And besides the 'fun' totally wears off after years of trying" I also told him that infertility is out there and that it affects 1 in 6 couples! I totally laid it all out for him. I didn't care if he wanted to hear it or not. If he had the gall to say that, then he should be able to hear what I have to say right?!?!
The best part...in the end of the conversation he goes on to say how he and his wife were "made to have children" and that they kept popping them out one by one. Well then I guess you have NO IDEA what infertility is all about and you should stop being so IGNORANT!!!
Even though I have beat my infertility (for now) the whole subject still leaves me saddened and how insensitive and ignorant people are to it makes me sick! I never had the ability to lay it all out for people who didn't understand before, but now what do I have to lose? If I can make one person in this world understand infertility a little bit better, then that is one less person's insensitivity we have to deal with! :)
I simply said, "Oh buddy your talking to the wrong girl. I whole-heartily believe in how science can help. I also said that my little one would not be here without the help of science. And besides the 'fun' totally wears off after years of trying" I also told him that infertility is out there and that it affects 1 in 6 couples! I totally laid it all out for him. I didn't care if he wanted to hear it or not. If he had the gall to say that, then he should be able to hear what I have to say right?!?!
The best part...in the end of the conversation he goes on to say how he and his wife were "made to have children" and that they kept popping them out one by one. Well then I guess you have NO IDEA what infertility is all about and you should stop being so IGNORANT!!!
Even though I have beat my infertility (for now) the whole subject still leaves me saddened and how insensitive and ignorant people are to it makes me sick! I never had the ability to lay it all out for people who didn't understand before, but now what do I have to lose? If I can make one person in this world understand infertility a little bit better, then that is one less person's insensitivity we have to deal with! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Good for you!!! Instead of quickly getting out of the conversation you took the time to explain it to him. Thanks for sticking up for the IF world!!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! It makes me feel good to know you really gave it to him. Us IFer's should never forget where we came from if we happen to succeed. Thanks Ashley!
ReplyDelete(((HUGS)))
Good girl!!! I think its so important that those people are educated on infertilty! More of us should speak up when inconsiderate things are said!
ReplyDeleteGood for you!
ReplyDeletePeople just don't get it!
OMG, I just looked at your belly pic. You are moving right along. :-)
Ugh. I can't stand some people.
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you for standing up to him! What a J.A. thing for him to say after you explained that to him! I may have been tepted to say something along the lines of "so apparently, intellegence isn't required!".
ReplyDeleteYour belly looks so cute! You're almost to the 1/2 way point! :)